Pages

05 November 2013

UnSouled

By Neal Shusterman
Series: Book #3 Unwind Dystology
ISBN:
 9781442423692
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 15th 2013
Number of Pages: 403
Source: Local Library
Goodreads Summary: Connor and Lev are on the run after the destruction of the Graveyard, the last safe haven for AWOL Unwinds. But for the first time, they're not just running away from something. This time, they're running toward answers, in the form of a woman Proactive Citizenry has tried to erase from history itself. If they can find her, and learn why the shadowy figures behind unwinding are so afraid of her, they may discover the key to bringing down unwinding forever. Cam, the rewound boy, is plotting to take down the organization that created him. Because he knows that if he can bring Proactive Citizenry to its knees, it will show Risa how he truly feels about her. And without Risa, Cam is having trouble remembering what it feels like to be human. With the Juvenile Authority and vindictive parts pirates hunting them, the paths of Connor, Lev, Cam, and Risa will converge explosively and everyone will be changed.


My Rating:  


This review contains spoilers!

Previous books to be read are: Unwind & UnWholly.


I have mixed emotions concerning this book. Again, I am torn over the rating. I do think the plot has been furthered quite a bit and the character development is coming along. I am just having a hard time dealing with the actions of Starkey.

Again, the story is told from several points of view. If you remember, I couldn't stand
 The 100 because of that. With Shusterman, I already know the back-stories of the characters, so it does make it less confusing. The problem I have with his style is that he writes in third person, no matter whose "chapter" it is. We aren't really getting that much of an unique perspective this way. I think first person would be much more effective. 

Along those lines, I really liked the POVs from the stock characters, like the gas station attendant. This is one instance in which it furthers the story with a different perspective.
 

My absolute favorite parts of this book (and the previous ones) are the real-life news articles from our past and present mixed in with the advertisements of this future world. In particular, take a look at this article
 - it talks about the "The Scent of Memory" (223) Another one, located here is the full length article, which Shusterman gives us a summary version. This one is concerning "Documented cases of cellular memory being transferred to heart transplant recipients" (139). All these give us clues as to how our world could develop into the one Shusterman has created. 

My favorite quote is right at the beginning of this book,
"Surely this new medical technology will free us rather than enslave us, for it is my firm belief that human compassion outweighs human greed. To that end, I hereby found Proactive Citizenry to be a stalwart watchdog over the ethical use of neurografting. I am confident that abuses will be the exception rather than the rules." - Janson Rheinschild, 1

How wrong Mr. Rheinschild was. This book is just amazing with its' portrayal of corporations and their greed. Why develop this technology for good when only few would use it? Let's use people's fear and wage a war on a helpless population and use them to create what is probably more than a million-dollar enterprise! I speak the truth when I say they use a powerless population - teenagers that no one takes seriously and convicts that everyone already hates. Strip these people of their human rights and the world just looks on.

Now for the characters:

Camus Comprix AKA Cam - such a complex character that I for one, can't help but love! He is living a life of opulence and can have any girl he wants - yet he is a piece of property. He questions his existence. Does he have a human soul if he was created and not born? He is willing to team up with his enemy, Connor, to ultimately bring down the corporation that owns him and to make the girl he loves see him in the light that no one else seems to see.

My favorite line delivered by him, speaking to Connor:
"The fact that I'm physically, intellectually, and creatively better than you is not arrogance or conceit; it's a simple fact...I'm the better man because I was made to be." - Unsouled, 376
I haven't decided if I like Cam better than Connor for Rita. They both have good qualities but then again, I think both are arrogant and their fighting over her is petty.

Connor - quite the opposite of Cam. He's not complex. He's pretty straight-forward. Typical bad boy rebel, out to save the world!

Rita - She's a character I like. She's strong-willed, smart, and confident. I think she is mature and a good-role model for girls. I, however, do NOT like how she was playing both boys towards the end of the book. Don't string them along. Go with your gut girl!

Lev - Oh Lev....He has endured so much and I truly think he made the right decision staying on the reservation. He needed time to reboot, recharge, and find himself again. I'm interested to see what he plans to do in the next book.

Starkey - Starkey is a strange and disturbing character. He wants the fame that Connor has and is willing to do some pretty scary things to achieve it. I don't quite understand why he only "keeps" starks on in his band of cohorts and not all AWOLs. They may want to help too! This prejudice just seems silly to me.

All the minor characters: (there are A LOT of characters to keep track of!)

Argent & Nelson - Strange duo teamed up to bring down Connor. I thought Argent was ingenious (at first) at getting Nelson to take him all the places he wanted to go. Now that he's found out, I wonder when Grace's tracking chip is going to come into play!

Una - Really liked this girl. She reminds me of Rita in a way. Did find her fascination/repulsion to Cam and Wil's hands to be interesting. Not sure how I'd react in that situation but it did seem that her torture (and that IS what that was) of Cam to be extreme.

Grace - LOVE Grace! She's just so cute and gusty. You can't help but feel sorry for the situation she was in and I'm glad Connor came along to "save" her. If anyone can find out what "low-cortical" means, please let me know (I could not find anything on it). Grace doesn't seem impaired at all to me. In fact, the way she process games and strategy is quite astonishing. 

Sonia - She's exactly the type of old lady I like. She's funny & sarcastic and the no-BS kind of person. She is helping AWOLs the best she can and now, she is giving Connor the key to the possible ending of unwinding. The technology described at the end sounds incredible! I can't believe (ok, I kinda do..) someone would want to bury this life-saving technology.
All in all, I really liked this book. Gives a person A LOT to think about...and that's a good thing!

On a girly side note, I am fascinated by the electronic nail builder described and used by Audrey.
"Hair and nails are basically made of the same stuff. This device breaks down the hair, then applies it in fine layers on top of your nails." - Unsouled, 201
Put a piece of your hair in and and then your nail and presto! Healed, beautiful nails! (and all-natural too!)  

Looking forward to the release of book 4, Undivided, in October 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment