Pages

29 January 2014

Roomies

by Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando
ISBN: 9780316217491
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date:  December 24th 2013
Number of Pages: 288
Source: Local Library
Goodreads Summary: It's time to meet your new roomie.

When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.




My Rating:  


This book was pretty good! Told in alternating chapters between our two characters - Elizabeth Logan (aka EB) from New Jersey & Lauren Cole (aka Lo) from San Francisco, CA.

These two girls are going to be roommates together in the fall at the University of California - Berkeley. Lauren will just be moving across the bridge, away from her big family that includes five younger siblings whereas EB is moving across the country away from her high-strung mother and closer to where her estranged father lives.

EB & Lo's lives seem to be completely different, but as teenagers, they are both making the transition from high school to college & becoming a young adult.

E-mail is the way these two communicate and the fact that there are two different authors, writing for each girl, makes this a fun book. You can tell the difference between the two personalities and viewpoints.

One difference is the way each girl reacts to the news of having a roommate. EB is super excited and emails Lauren as soon as she gets her contact email:
"Dear Lauren,You don't know me but I got an e-mail from Berkeley telling me that we're going to be roommates. I am so excited to "meet" you! I've been waiting and waiting."- Roomies, 2-3 
Lauren on the other hand:
"I frantically click over to the Berkeley messages and find the one telling me abut my roommate. So it's true. My request has been denied. 'Crap,' I mutter."Roomies, 
she writes back to EB,
"I requested a single. All I've wanted for the last decade is a room of my own. Some privacy. A place to be alone with my thoughts where they are constantly interrupted by someone else making some kind of racket, or even someone else just quietly trying to exist in the same space as me." Roomies, 9
So becomes a hesitant pen pal friendship. They share their hopes, worries, and current struggles going on their life. I won't go into detail, as reading their story and moving with the characters through everything is what makes this book great.

Spoiler & Content Warning:
 Characters are 18 and high school graduates. As such, there is some more mature content than you would see in books aimed at younger readers.

I really enjoyed reading about EB & Lauren and seeing their friendship grow and go through rough patches. I have hope for these two girls, even though I hated the ending being so open!!

If you like realistic fiction & coming-of-age stories - I suggest this book to you.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment